Saturday, January 3, 2015

Big Turnout for Meeker Mansion!

Tacoma Urban Sketchers had our best attended sketch outing to date!  This was thanks to the article in the "Go" section of The News Tribune yesterday

The Meeker Mansion in Puyallup, WA was gloriously decorated for Christmas.
Sketcher at the bottom of the stairs.
The mansion was built in 1890 and is a splendid Victorian era home.  There was an abundance of sketch opportunities and I just couldn't pick. I wandered around the entire house for about a half an hour.  By then, there were 2 or 3 or more sketchers in each room.  The ones in which I was most interested were full!  Sketchers everywhere:


















So I settled down to sketch the period artifacts in a display case in the upper hall.



After I finished this, a spot was open in one of my preferred rooms.  These dresses were beautifully made.  The clothing and accessories of the period are very interesting to me as I'm working on period clothing and kit as a volunteer interpreter for Fort Nisqually


We gathered to share sketches....



and have a group photo (though there are several missing as they had left before).



More photos of sketchers and the Mansion are here  

2 comments:

  1. This was great fun and the two people I brought also enjoyed it as well. The group did some great work and it was fantastic to see all the different styles of interpreting this unique place. Many of us even joined for lunch afterwards and got to "talk art" over a burger and fries. What a great way to start the new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Feather!

    Stay tuned..... Frances and I did some blotting after and we'll soon announce an "ad hoc" to talk about materials, techniques,etc to help new sketchers get started.

    Meanwhile..... I talked to more than a few people who came for the first time today who said they haven't done any drawing for many years. I just read this excellent blog post by a sketcher in England, reflecting on the first year back to sketching after many years: http://urbansketchers-manchester.blogspot.com/2015/01/reflections-of-beginning-urban-sketcher.html?showComment=1420356267292#c2337719664943314955

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.