Sunday, July 3, 2016

A "W" kind of day

By Kate Buike

Urban Sketchers Tacoma outing yesterday (Saturday, July 2) was around the Tacoma campus of the University of Washington.  The block letter "W" symbol was everywhere.  It made it into both of my sketches today.



As usual, I arrived early to our meeting location outside the UW bookstore.  I sat at some convenient tables there and positioned myself to sketch the nicely decorated light pole, complete with a "W" flag.  This flag also had the University's "We > Me" motto.  Not quite as math geeky as the Aviation High School's "√144"  Seahawks flag, but still geeky enough.



I commented that the Gay Pride month flags are "still" flying.  However, I later found a flyer that Tacoma's Gay Pride Festival is July 8-16.  Not in the usual June. 

Up the steps deeper into campus but not very far and I caught sight of the very large "W" sculpture which greets visitors at the upper end of campus.



We shared our sketches and had our group photos in Tollefson Plaza.





At least a couple people are missing from our group photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.