Saturday, January 21, 2017

With 120,000 of my closest friends

Give or take a thousand.
"So bad, even introverts are here."  That sign seen in a photo from the DC march sums it up for me.  I don't like crowds.  This was not the first march in which I've participated but it was by far the largest.  Early estimates on the  4pm local news were 120,000 completely peaceful participants.

Our local public radio's website wrote:  "The front reached Seattle Center (the end)  before the back had left Judkins Park (the start). That's a distance of a 3.6 miles."

Except for a few religious zealots yelling at us, the crowd was relatively quiet and very up beat.  I found it a rather joyous atmosphere despite the reason that brought us out.

By the time I got back to Westlake the march had nearly arrived.  The side walks were 10 deep in people.  I watched for at least one and a half hours and never saw the end of the marchers!   I decided I didn't need to join for the last mile walk up to Seattle Center.  I was a little over whelmed by the vast numbers.
The sidewalks for blocks were full as was the street.
The sidewalks for blocks were full as was the street.
These ladies were THE Best!
These ladies were THE Best!
Several local Urban Sketchers planned to sketch reportage the March.  I found Frances and AJ at Westlake.  They'd been sketching while I was on my scouting mission (for a future sketch outing location).  I did a couple quick sketches, walked around some more and then made my way home.
AJ, Frances, me
AJ, Frances, me



That's a TV van antennae sticking up in the middle of the sketch.
That's a TV van antennae sticking up in the middle of the sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.