Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Finally, the Elks Temple

We have waited so long for this day!  This was my first visit to the restored and renovated Elks Temple in Tacoma. It was a multi-year project by the McMenamin brothers (more here). Urban Sketchers Tacoma met to sketch inside and out of this new property which just opened April 24.  

I don't think I have enough superlatives to describe the amazing work they've done here. It's seven floors of spectacular. We'll go back again and again.

There were many sketchers today, only 3 of whom had been here since it opened on April 24.





 There was work going on at the front, where I wanted to sketch the restored elk's head.So I went up to the first landing of the Spanish Steps, outside the Spanish Bar to sketch a detail of the exterior.



An hour later, the workers seemed to have taken a break so I had a view of the elk's head and the amazing antlers.



I didn't sketch any of the interior as I'll save that for bad weather days. 

Lots of photos here

-- Kate Buike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.