Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Urban Sketching in Our Backyard Jungle



I did this sketch in a shady area of my backyard garden during two weeding-trimming-watering rest breaks, both at about the same time of day, on consecutive days.

Layer One: A quick line drawing (Uniball Vision pen-has waterproof ink) of the tables, fig tree, grape arbor, various plants, gardening equipment and the path.

Layer Two: (Both layers 1 & 2 thanks to the Steven Reddy sketching techniques) Created grey-scale layers of wash, using diluted (black) waterproof India ink and a #8 brush. Time was up for that rest break!

Layer Three: The following day, same time of day, I decided to try out adding color to my sketch using my small Prima watercolor set.

I learned several things doing this sketch: Just doing ink line and grey scale is fairly fast; I could let the ink dry in one area while inking other areas; the ink-value under-painting could have been the final step for my drawing to be a ‘finished sketch’; the India ink values ‘disappeared’ into and became the values of the glazes of color I applied.

For the next time: I’m curious to see how many greens I could mix from this little Prima set. Not having checked that out prior to using this paint set, I found it difficult to create any subtle greens while speed painting during gardening rest breaks!

Happy Urban Sketching!

Frances 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.