Monday, April 13, 2015

An unlikely medium for Urban Sketching

"Exit" 5x7 scratchboard Nichols Center, Fox Island
   There is a place I go to on Fox Island to work on Wednesdays. In the spring I notice there is a particular drama/beauty about the way the sun streams in through the window and down the stairs. I am so enamored with this scene that I have rendered it many times... in pencil, on a shellac etching plate (printmaking) and now in scratchboard, my new reacquainted medium. The cool thing is if you make a mistake you can just blacken it back in with permanent mark which seems so counter intuitive.

2 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful, Feather -- strong sense of depth and even intrigue. A great composition!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me know you like it Tina. I'm not always strongest in my sense of values so dramatic lighting like this deserve to be celebrated with an equally strong medium... wonder what next spring will bring when I am again inspired by the scene.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.