Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Meet the Correspondents - Kate Buike

It was May 2013 that I met Frances Buckmaster at an Urban Sketching workshop in Seattle.  It was as a result of a discussion there that I joined her and Rom in working to get USk Tacoma going. 

I originally discovered Urban Sketchers on 21 February 2012 when Gabi Campanario appeared on a local show promoting his book, The Art of Urban Sketching.  Right then and there I said to myself, "That's what I want to do".  That Sunday, 26 February, I attended my first Sketch Outing with the Seattle group and I've missed few since.

I had  just retired in August 2011.  Though I have a couple volunteer activities and lots of interests and hobbies, there was room for more.  Urban Sketching has brought me back to the practice of art and sketching that I enjoyed when I was young(er).  I had a some training and showed my art a little but after getting my first SLR camera in 1974, all my artistic expression went into photography.  Until that February in 2012.   It had been decades since I drew or painted and I have enjoyed renewing my skills.  !

I was born and raised in Michigan.  I’ve also lived & worked in England, Germany, Southern California and now Washington. I have a Masters Degree in Social Work and I’m a medical Social Worker with a past specialty in Oncology.  I've been married for 35 years.  My husband is a computer professional. 

I live in south King County but have found it's easier most days to get to Tacoma or Puyallup than through Seattle! 

Here is a recent sketch, done at Fort Nisqually.  I've recently begun combining my sketching with being a volunteer interpreter there.  





My Blog: Red Harp Arts
My flickr page:  RedHarp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.