Sunday, January 29, 2017

Getting to Know my Brand New Sailor DE Brush Stroke Style Calligraphy Pen

Wow, what a long name this pen has! Because there is a large variety of Sailor's pens and this is quite unique. In my journey of experimentations with fountain pens I kept hearing that this pen was fantastic for sketching as it has a bended tip that gives you the freedom to sketch making very thin lines and transition into thicker lines. Last year I had bought one that unfortunately I ruined as I didn't know the dos and don'ts of fountain pen handling. By know I am very happy to have a bit of knowledge in the matter thanks to my fellow urban sketchers (just a little tiny bit of knowledge mind you) and I did not ruin the pen this time by using China Ink (please never do that!). I am using Platinum Carbon Ink and that works fabulously.

This type of pen is made with a 55 degree nib and a 40 degree nib. I chose the 55 degree nib to start and later I may want to experiment with the 40 degree nib to see the difference in lines. I off course will keep you posted. This pen I have is green in color, is made of plastic, is light and easy to handle. I tried it on Friday during a quick lunch sketch and I was able to move the nib in ways that produced lines with different degrees of thickness and I enjoyed how my trees turned out. As follows I will show you a series of pictures describing the process of filling the pen with ink using a converter (this was a learning process for me) and then the sketch I did Friday using the Sailor pen along with another sketch I did before with a Micron 005 so you can compare




Above you can see the pen and converter as it came in as well as out of the packaging along with the instructions on how to use the converter.








Above you can see that I pushed the converter inside the pen once I broke the pen apart, I twisted the converter cap clockwise until I was able to see the length of the tube through the converter and placed the pen's nib inside the ink bottle and began to twist the converter's cap counterclockwise to fill it with ink. Once that was completed I assembled the pen back together and I was ready to test it.









Metropolitan District Park of Tacoma


Titlow Park Tacoma
I hope this was informative and I will be back with more sketching!

Happy Sketching you all,


Daisy






2 comments:

  1. This couldn't have come at a better time. I too ruined my pen and have yet to replace it. I may try this one. Where did you get it and what was the cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This couldn't have come at a better time. I too ruined my pen and have yet to replace it. I may try this one. Where did you get it and what was the cost?

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.