Friday, June 30, 2017

Now and Then


Almost a year to the day separates these two sketches.The top of the Foss water way in Tacoma and below looking south from Beach Drive in West Seattle of the ferry crossing between Vashon Island and Fauntleroy. After yesterdays sketch I looked back through my journals to see where I was close to the same day a year ago. No surprise, my inspiration was a water view. This view along Beach Drive is one of those I've driven by a hundred times and thought I should stop and sketch and finally yesterday morning with time to spare before a dental appointment the opportunity materialized.

In the mid fifties our family home was on the beach just south of the Fauntleroy ferry terminal. The sights and sounds of the ferry boats, freighters and slow moving tug boats became an integral part of my life then and impetus for my sketches now.

Both sketches are Derwent watercolor pencil and a bit of pigment watercolor added to the sky and water. Last years sketch was done in my Moleskine watercolor journal and sketched with a micron 0.8 pen. I have since switched to Pentalic journals for the quality of their 140# paper and to Copic multiliner 0.5 which seems more reliable then the oft leaking micron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.