Thursday, January 18, 2018

Schmidt House

We drove rather far afield to sketch the historic Schmidt House mansion in Tumwater, WA for our sketch outing yesterday.

Actually, the family named the mansion "Three Meter" but the reason for the name has been lost to time. It was built in 1904 for Olympia Brewing Company founder Leopold Schmidt and his wife Johanna.



The home has two floors open to visitors. However, our host, Don, took us up to the third floor. It has some beautiful and interesting architectural details.

The scenes of most interest to me were on the ground floor. I sat at a round table with other sketchers to draw the view out the window, which included the statue, "Industry". I added to the montage some details found on the ground floor.



Perhaps due to the distance, we were a small group today.


Jan, Carolyn, Ken, Kris; Becky, Kate, Frances




After sketching, some of us went to lunch at Terrace Falls restaurant where we had a wonderful view of the falls. I find painting moving water a challenge. I've got a collection of YouTube videos on the subject of painting water through which I'm working my way.

 





--Kate Buike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.