Saturday, April 6, 2019

Intrepid in Hobbiton

Lots of weather.  

Five intrepid sketchers from USk Tacoma met at The Brothers Greenhouses outside Port Orchard. The attraction for this particular place was their Hobbit House!



There was heavy rain on the way as well as off and on while we were there. In addition, there was wind, sun, and hail. Just about everything but snow!


I came prepared to use the Pete Scully method for sketching in the rain. It worked quite well when the rain was light. The raincoat is zipped up all the way and the umbrella handle is stuffed down the front, with the umbrella resting on my head.



Since it had started to rain again, I made my first sketch inside the house, sitting in the carved wooden chair provided.


Then it was sunny, which lured me to sketch a side view of the house. Oh, but the wind came up, more rain and I put up the umbrella. I thought I might go inside to finish adding color but it cleared again and the sun came out again. This was fast and loose to get the painting done before it started raining again.  Shortly after I went back inside the hail started!  



We shared our sketches at a table inside the main store.






The owner, Cheryl, joined us to look at sketches. She suggested the group photo back outside at the Hobbit House. She is one of the builders of the house and is here peaking out the door.


 

More photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.