Sunday, February 2, 2020

A&C

Urban Sketchers Tacoma met today to sketch at the Artist & Craftsman store. I'd arranged permission ahead of time and the staff seemed happy to host us.




It was a mild day, so my first sketch was outside. I was drawn to the red star of "Red Star Tacos". It's housed in the 1927 Walker Apartment Hotel, which was designed by Tacoma architect Roland E. Borhek. It was named for Robert Walker of the Walker Cut Stone Company and was an example of Wilkeson sandstone and the first of its kind in the PNW to be faced with stone.



Next I went inside the store to sketch a view I'd decided on earlier. So much color! The umbrella, the painted chandeliers, and the walls of the store.




--by Kate Buike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.